Monday, August 08, 2005

Welcome

"It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain - that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

- Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address (1863)

I recently heard this phrase was misquoted by a vast percentage of ivy school elites in the Elite College History Survey as having come from one of a number of documents besides the Gettsyburg Address, primarily the 43 percent that believed it originated from the Declaration of Independence. I thought, especially given this day and age, it was worth repeating and remembering.

Welcome one and all to the inaugural post of "Shall Not Perish". I plan on posting as often as possible and dealing with a variety of issues both local, national, and international. My opinions are worth about as much as the next person's, but I do try to color them with a bit of education and wisdom. I don't expect to win a popularity contest, but I do hope to get people thinking and remind them of the things that are most important about our country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home