Thursday, September 22, 2005

Doing Your Duty As a Citizen

Yesterday I gave testimony on my thoughts regarding eminent domain before a State committee. The beauty of this sort of thing is, any citizen can do it. The sad part about it is, most of us rarely if ever do. I think a large part of that is due to the fact that we by and larger are working stiffs who have day jobs, the same time that most governments hold these hearings.

Still, if you have a chance, keep an eye on what your local and state governments are doing. Scan a paper. Visit a web site. It's as simple as that. For the meetings you can make, do go. I am a firm believer that it makes a difference.

That being said, our meeting on eminent domain seemingly failed to convince the committee to cut off at the root the use of eminent domain for private development. The "expert" testimony of a town lawyer and their own hesitations made them think they might not be able to handle blighted neighborhoods or industrial parks unless they still had that power.

I wanted to respond, had I been able to give another statement, that we are all big boys and girls in this state. We don't need, and often don't want nanny governments coming in to try and revitalize an area. We want businesses to come in and families to follow. If you have to be involved, give them a tax break for moving in there. That's a fairly common incentive, and seems to work.

My feeling after that meeting is this. The chairman of the committee, David Wolkins, a very good man in his own right, seemed to be begging for constructive ideas. Well, I for one am going to start corresponding with him and offer my ideas. It only hinders if you don't provide input and allows those without our best interests in mind to provide their own input. I figure it's a no-brainer. In the meantime, I'm going to post the info from my friend Mike Kole's comments on an earlier eminent domain post on how to contact the chairman of this commmittee. By all means, feel free to contact him.

1-800-382-9841.
State Representative Dave Wolkins
Indiana House of Representatives
Room 401-8, Statehouse
Indianapolis, IN 46204

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home