Thursday, March 02, 2006

R.I.P. Harry Browne

It was with sadness that I learned of the passing of a giant in the field of modern Libertarian thought, Harry Browne. National Review has a nice piece remembering Harry. An unsuccesful candidate for the Presidency in '96 and 2000, Harry achieved much more by swelling the ranks of the Party with his gift for oration and his incessant touring. Harry visited more cities, especially in less "politically valuable" landscape than any of his opponents, and yet didn't get a fraction of the press even the likes of the lefty Ralph Nader.

Although he didn't get the press, he certainly got his word out and was an exceptional standard bearer for the Party when he was called. I may not have agreed with every point the man made, but I most certainly respected and admired him and his stance on government and the fact that it should crawl back into the swamp from whence it came. This was the real Harry that "gave 'em Hell", but I know his reward will be that he can finally rest, secure that his ideas survive and will be built upon by those after him. God bless you, Harry. Get some rest. We'll all try to keep the torch lit in your absence.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sad. The Libertarian movement has lost a great man. I hope that, during those times I have doubts, I think about Harry Browne and it will inspire me to keep striving for liberty.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home